Every month we would like to recognize a Reformer that is a great role model of our growing community. Our Reformer of the Month embodies traits that we deem to be most important in making CrossFit Reform such a special place. This person shows great respect throughout the gym, a strong commitment to their health and fitness, and helps make others around them better. Get to know a little more about our Reformer of the Month here.
1) How long have you been in CF?
I started CrossFit in April of 2017. CrossFit Reform has been my first and only box!
2) How did you come across CF?
When I was deployed in Afghanistan there were a ton of people who were doing CrossFit. I had a few other friends over the years from the Navy that would tell me all about it too. One night when we were all at home and scrolling through Netflix we came across "The Fittest on Earth" which for the film for the CrossFit games of 2014. Everyone in the house really enjoyed it and it got me to reflecting on how boring my workouts had become and how stale my local globo gym had become. I decided that then was as good a time as any to give CrossFit a shot and I have not looked back since.
3) What are your favorite movements/lifts? What are your least favorite? Any recent PRs you would like to mention?
My favorite lifts are the Olympic lifts as well as the squat. Least favorite would easily be the assault bike or burpees! I bumped my snatch up to 130 lbs. Coach Corey and the barbell club has been a huge help.
4) What is one goal you would like to set for yourself regarding CF?
I am going to get double-unders .....eventually!!!
5) Do you have a favorite girl or hero WOD?
Cindy or Chelsea - simple but it will get you.
6) Where are you from?
Born in Cleveland, OH but raised in Lake Forest, CA.
7) If you could have any super hero power, what would it be?
Hmmm, probably the power to heal and recover like Wolverine.
8) If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you visit?
I'd like to visit Argentina. I heard it is supposed to be amazing and, well, #steak.
9) If you could host a dinner party with any three people, dead or alive, who would you have attend?
Teddy Roosevelt my favorite President and my vote for the worlds first most interesting man. Chester Nimitz - Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet in WWII, I don't think most people know how much the attack on Pearl Harbor required a complete and dramatic shift in naval strategy and Admiral Nimitz was the man to drive it. Brooke Ence - she is a family favorite, a top athlete has overcome serious injury and yet through it all she seems very down to earth.
10) Share one thing that people in the gym would not know about you.
I have lived in three foreign countries (Germany, Australia and Afghanistan).
11) How has CF changed your life?
It's very easy to stick with what you know and what are comfortable with. CrossFit has pushed me to become better at things that I would have likely not opted to try or pick up. It's also been a great window for my girls to see that fitness can be fun and people from a walks, ages and backgrounds are a part of it.
12) Would you like to give any shout outs to those in the gym who have encouraged you or inspired you?
Too hard to narrow it down. I knew literally nobody at Reform when I started and have to say that everyone has been so friendly and welcoming.